Thursday, February 07, 2008

There was no Turtle on the Road today :(

I don't really feel like typing anymore at all, and I think I will quit very quickly and head to bed. I am now a month into the semester and just submitted my first major paper of the semester. I have submitted many journals already, those are ok. On the other hand I absolutely abhorred this paper. It was a look at the post-positivist paradigm, plus a critique of it from my personal worldview. It's not a bad topic and typically I would be ok with writing such a paper...I did many times at Dordt (maybe that is why I am sick of writing them). In this particular case this paper just wouldn't come, and it sounds stilted and awkward and I hate the finished product. The worst part about writing this paper is looking at all my other syllabi and realizing that this is the only assignment all semester I am going to hate. The others are going to be a lot of work, but they at least look fun. I guess now that it is done I can be grateful that this paper that I was dreading is out of the way and I no longer have to worry about writing it (just about how my prof is going to slaughter it...grrr).
Anyways, I was looking at next week and it looks really weird, my Tuesday class got canelled, my Thursday evening C&C group got canceled (didn't want to compete with Valentine's Day) and my Friday morning class got canceled. Yet, even with all those cancellations I have two major projects do, so it still looks daunting. I guess I will have to be sure to make good use of my Saturday before I go to work...try to finish or at least get a good handle on my Bibliotherapy assignment for Counseling Children and Adolescents.Then I will have the rest of the week after that is done to finish my project for Foundations of Counseling...A "Personal Development & Professional Identity Exercise" in other words it doesn't have to be a paper or presentation, it can be whatever we would like...so I need to think about that.
By the way, did I ever mention that I had to go out and buy a whole bunch of toys for my class on Counseling Children and Adolescents, it is fabulous! I have TOYS!! So here is a picture of what you need to learn to become a counselor for children and adolescents (plus tonnes of handouts and hours in class and experience...as in, don't try this at home).
In this photo, 3 fabulous textbooks (honestly, they are GREAT!) 4 adorable plush puppets, one bucket of wooden building blocks, 5 balls, 13 toy cars (including an ambulance and a fire truck (still looking for a police car)) Plastic animals we needed a sheep, lion elephant and dog, but I also have a gorilla, pig, an extra dog, a mountain goat and a deer) the infamous magic wand (in plastic bag so it will stop shedding all over everything), one deck of cards, one container of bright pink play-doh, two glue sticks, one white golue, two white erasers, one pencil sharpener (that holds the shavings), HB pencils, good quality pencil crayons, markers, crayons, construction paper and white paper, scissors with a blunted end (Crayola makes some that actually do a fabulous job of cutting) And one handy dandy bag to carry everything in (ok, the blocks don't fit but they have a handy handle :) Needless to say when I go to that class with my backpack full of textbooks, notes pencil case etc. Plus this bag stuffed full, and a bucket of blocks I look like I am trying to move in! It really is a fabulous class though. And if anyone wants to come and play with my toys with me they are more than welcome!!
Ok, now I am going to bed, I think I am over my grouchy stage about my paper, playing with and talking about my toys made me happier. So goodnight my dear readers who are few and far between, I will try to do better and post soon, but no guarantees, the next few weeks look busy...but then comes reading break! Look out Phoenix here I come....YIPEE!!!!!
PS The title is inspired by an email from the youth pastor I work with...he was inspired by The Grapes of Wrath...ohh happy thought.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lynola said...

Ooh, pick me! Pick me! I want to play with your toys!
(and I didn't read that book so I don't get the title)

4:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home