Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Elusive Motivation

Ok, so for those of you who went to college...or even school, do you remember those days when a huge very important assignment was due the next morning. An assignment you have thought about but put nothing down on paper for, an assignment that is a large portion of your grade (say 30%) an assignment where you wished that the thought actually counted (who started that saying anyways??) Those looming deadlines that are supposed to freak you out, perhaps make your life flash before your eyes etc. etc. etc. And yet you have absolutely no motivation to work on the assignment nor any inspiration, so instead you distract yourself?
You check your email about five thousand times, you chat online, or continually check if there is anyone online to chat with, you think about making a phone call but tell yourself you can't, you need to do homework. You set up all kinds of reward systems saying if You get this much done you can do this, you write papers for all your other classes, you read over the assignment description about 50 times, and then do it again. You open Microsoft Word, create a perfectly formatted APA title page and insert all the different headings you will need, you go online knowing other people can get distracted there for hours so there has to be something interesting out there, you read over your assignment some more...still no inspiration, you get a drink of water at this point you have had more water than you ever drank in your life before, and then you decide to go express your frustration in some format, perhaps a blog.
Yes, I have a final assignment due tomorrow, for a class I loved and couldn't get enough of, but I am terrified that I might mess up the exam and ruin the good grade I have in that class. I am still slightly terrified of the professor who teaches this class (and some of my other professors now that I am on the topic). Honest truly, writing out a plan for therapy from beginning to end with only five or six points of information on the client just seems stupid, so many things come up in therapy and you have to be flexible, this just makes it seem way to structured and unflexible, yes, I go into sessions with a plan, but not with a plan for the next 20 thousand sessions! Good grief well I have less than fifteen hours to get this thing done, and will likely whip it out when the pressure of the deadline is finally big enough to finally make me stress out...I am such a horrid student in that way, I was bad in my undergrad, but I have just become worse, way worse now that I am in grad school...something needs to change, and that something is me and my horrid habits.
Alright, now I need to stop this and do something productive, preferably the assignment that is due tomorrow, but I get a weird feeling I will finish or at least get some work done on a few other assignments before that one gets done. As Charlie Eppes once said in Numb3rs --there are just some times when I can't choose what my brain works on. (Yes, I like that show too much).

2 Comments:

Blogger Aleeda said...

Well being the opposite of you in study habits, I'm not sure if I am glad I didn't know how "down to the wire" you were on this --- cause I would stress, or if it was bad I didn't know so that I could pray a lot harder for you :-) God makes us all different, I'm sure you probably got it done, but I'm curious how much sleep you got and what your stress level has reach in order to motivate.---I 'm wondering if we each reach that level just at different times.
Love ya

9:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allow me to help you procrastinate by posting this comment on your blog. It will give you something to read online. I must say that your vocabulary or something about your post makes it very engaging/interesting to read. Perhaps if you applied the same writing style to your paper/project thing it would help. Or it would gain you a poor grade due to unprofessionalism. I don't think that is a word, but it should be. PS By what percentage do you think online data grows every day? No, I don't know the answer, it was just a thought-question that popped into my head. Does internet material that is never viewed ever expire or become corrupted? Bye for now. From the other L.VIS

1:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home