Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Homes

Well as I told you, last time I was going to post some pictures of the new house. I have a few, they aren't fantastic, and things are not necessarily where they will stay, but it will give you a general idea of what the house looks like. Really this house feels a lot more like home than the last place I lived. Unfortunately my roommate is moving out in two weeks. I love having the house with just the two of us. The other day shortly after we moved in we were doing dishes together, and we were discussing how we felt human again, kind of like the last year in the other house had stripped away some of our humanness. I guess I will have to get used to living alone for awhile until my next roomie moves in at the end of August. I would love to have visitors over the summer! So, here are the pictures I promised.

This is a view of my house if you are standing on my driveway, as you can see it is just a little house, but I have lots of lawn which I don't need to take care of (HURRAY!!!)
This is my bedroom, yes it is green, I know, people in my class here tell me I do everything in green if I have a choice...what can I say, it is my favorite color.


This is my kitchen/dining room. My Dutch side came out in that I painted the kitchen blue, when I was painting it one day my friend commented on the fact that I was turning it in to a Dutch kitchen.
This is my living room...I know, it looks more like an office than a living room right now, but with two students, really what can you expect from us?? A couch will likely be added soon so that more than one person can have a comfy chair.
There is another bedroom, but I think I will respect my roommate and not post any pictures of that!

This past weekend as I stated earlier I had a chance to go home to watch Les Miserables. Larissa and Janine were not aware that I was coming, so when I arrived on Wednesday I went over to the school to tell my mom I had made it. The cast was doing warm-ups, so we went and stood in the theater until Larissa and Janine noticed I was there. Lets just say over the weekend both of them made clear how happy they were that I had come. I also had a chance to do some stuff around town while I was home, but mainly spent time with family, watched the play multiple times, helped strike the set etc.
Watching this musical reminded me how much I enjoyed being involved in these when I was in high school. Let's just say that this is one part of high school that I would be willing to go back for. If you would like to see some pictures and have Facebook, you can search Les Miserables BVCS 2008 and it should pop up as an event. The one that has attendees in the group also has pictures. I am going to post some of them here for those of you who can't access those. For those of you who do not know the story of Les Miserables I highly recommend you read the book my Victor Hugo or that you watch the musical, it is a fabulous story. Watching this musical also made me realize that I am getting older, the students in this play consisted of many kids I had babysat or who had been in my cabin at camp. I was once again reminded that while I am not at home life still goes on and those people keep growing up! Now for some pictures...
This is the opening scene, with the chain gang...these are all prisoners.
This is when VanJean realizes that he can't let someone else take his place...Mr. Steenhof decided to have him tear his shirt open...the poor costume people had to resew on buttons after every performance!
This is when Fantine is dying and leaving her daughter Cosette to Jean Valjean's care...this scence always made Fantine's mother teary. (I babysat two of the girls in this picture, Fantine I babysat with her older sister)
This is Javert, at this point I believe he is singing that He will be there and he will catch Valjean after he goes to rescue Cosette. This actor played Fagan back when I was in "Oliver" in grade seven, this year he was the music teacher at the school.
This would be at the Thenardier's Inn, during the song Master of the House...my sister is in the back of this photo holding a wine bottle and serving wine. I babysat at least six of the people in this photo, taught piano to two of them...
More master of the house, standing on the table is Mrs. Thenardier...I used to babysit her, the girl on the right holding the wine bottle...that is my littlest sister (by age only, she is the tallest of my sisters!)

These two pictures are the townspeople begging people to look down and help them out. As you know if you know the story, the only people who help are the students... Oh, and the girl in the reddish sweater, that would be my sister again.
This is during the same song, this is Gavroche, I have babysat him many of times. The pants he is wearing are the pants our Oliver wore in our production back when I was in grade seven.
This is Marius and Cosette, (I have babysat both of them) This is when they are falling in love with each other and promising to love each other forever.
These would be the students at the point when they are deciding that they need to fight for the rights of the poor.
This is Eponine dying, she she was one of my campers back before she was in grade six. This scene was good...
This is a chorus member, Enjolras and Jean Valjean singing together...
This would be the barricade, eventually all the people in this scene will just be lying there dead (except two who are just injured and reappear later, the others only appear again as dead people)
This is the group of women singing mournfully about all the men who died yet nothing seems to have changed...
The Thenardier's at Cosette and Marius's wedding...
Curtain Call, that is my sister in the blue dress...
The entire cast and instrumentalists...both my sisters are in there...
This would be a picture of the major characters
This would be the protagonist and the antagonist (Valjean and Javert)
As I said if you don't know the story read it, it is a story all about grace and forgiveness, it is phenomenal. Oh, and one more picture.
This would be the director, now this picture is classic, this is the pose when he is talking to people who have just done a scene on stage, he is typically explaining what he saw and how he thinks it can be made better. I would say this is when he just had a new idea. We saw this pose when I was doing "Oliver" and "Fiddler on the Roof" and I am sure all the other casts have seen it as well.
Well, on Monday I drove back down to my little house and on Tuesday I was back in class. It has been raining continually since Monday night, and it is depressing me. Tuesday my friend Karissa came and she is spending two nights here before she has to head off again.
Oh yes, and I had some pictures taken with my sisters, so here is one...
my dad was having trouble holding the camera straight, so it is a little crooked...that or he was going for a 45 degree angle...did he get it??
Anyways, this post is already going to be a mile long with all these pictures and my jabbering, so I am signing off for awhile.
Would love to hear from you all!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lynola said...

yes, i think he got the angle right.
I want to go to a play again! That is one of the things I miss from Dordt. I love your house! The green in your bedroom looks so nice. The whole thing is homey and cute and I am trying hard to resist the temptation towards envy. Love yoU!

5:46 PM

 
Blogger Aleeda said...

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh (sigh)It was a great weekend ---the musical was so good, and having you here to share it just added to it all!
Thanks for coming home for Mother's Day too :-)

10:32 PM

 
Blogger NWPopje said...

Hurray for lots of fun pictures! I'm glad you made your post long, I enjoyed it:). I like your new house too. And I wouldn't say that kitchen is "Dutch" blue. It's not blue enough, really:). I LOVE the colors you chose though!!!

9:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home