Wednesday, April 22, 2009

.....zzzzzzzzzzzzz......

Well, it is Wednesday April 22, 2009 my first day of freedom from lecture classes. I finished my last final exam last night. Although I am still working on thesis and internship, so it doesn't feel like I have left school behind it still feels a little odd. It is odd to think that come next September I won't be in classes again... When I graduated from Dordt I did not have that, I knew that I would be back in classes come September, now I don't know when I will be back in classes or even if I will ever be back in classes!--though I prefer to think when, not never.
I have begun my internship in Bellingham, and boy is it going to be different than what I have been doing in Surrey. It is going to make my work in Surrey feel a lot easier...or maybe harder, whatever, very different. I will be finishing up my orientation next week, which also means I will be starting to get a case load. After just a few (3) days there I have begun to realize that the only difference between me and the staff there is going to be that I don't get paid, and I'm not there all week. (They will start me off with easier clients as well). Whatever the case I will most likely have a good measurement for what counseling within the community health system feels like.
On the thesis front, I continue to watch the data come in. Without having pulled out any data that does not meet the inclusion factors for participants, I have three times the number of participants that I need. Believe me this is not a bad thing, it may make slightly more work, but more data is always better data (or so I've heard).
As for the rest of my life...well, a lady from church talked to me and one of my friends about how women's ministries might be able to better reach people in our age group. Basically what kind of stuff appeals to us, repels us, and why on earth won't they come to things like women's retreat. As a result of that conversation and some she had with other people our age she is presenting ideas to the coordinators etc. As a result she has asked me to attend the women's retreat for a reduced price, and I have a feeling afterwards she will want to talk again about what kind of stuff would we change. It is really nice though to see that someone cared enough to notice that a LOT of people around my age get lost from the church, they sort of show up on Sunday mornings, but aren't provided with other things they can be involved in that would actually be meaningful for them. We no longer belong in college groups...and we often aren't yet welcomed into other groups by the adults (they may not verbally tell us they don't want us there, but...it is a vibe we often pick up).
Anyways, I am soooo looking forward to next week Thursday night. After internship I am headed to Mount Vernon where I will see Denise, and then early Friday morning I fly out to Iowa, (technically I fly to South Dakota and hope someone is nice enough to pick me up and drive me to Iowa...) where I will get to witness Karissa's wedding, Karlynn's graduation, and help my grandpa celebrate his 80th birthday (which means I get to see lots of relatives). I am so excited for a week without school.
In other news...I am trying to make some life decisions...but as of yet don't have enough data to make a decision, potentially soon.
Oh, and I had a nightmare as a result of my Ethics exam. I dreamt that I had a client who went and held some people hostage and the police came to get me and were all mad at me that I hadn't alerted anyone that my client was a threat, and I had to try to remain ethical, and yet explain that she had been assessed as not being a threat, and pretty much it was an ethical nightmare...
And one other note...apparently they have a few separate dates posted for graduation this fall, so if I do graduate this fall I no longer know what day it will be.
Alright, I am going to stop typing as my thoughts are becoming more scattered, and I need to keep some brain power for seeing the rest of my clients today.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lynola said...

So by life decisions do you mean where to move? Phoenix is nice. Or maybe somewhere fun for me to visit...D.C.? Hawaii? I'm glad you got excess data and hope that all goes well. How is Bellingham work different than Surrey work? Is it because of a different country, age group, private vs. public?... I LOVE YOU, LYNNEA!!!! <3

3:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home