Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Ambulance Driver

Ok, so I wrote this yesterday, but then the internet went on the fritz, so I have to post it today :)

Well I got to be the ambulance driver once again for camp. I don't have to do that to often thankfully, but this isn't the first time I have had to take a camper into the ER. It is the first time so far this year, and hopefully the last time for this summer. It all started yesterday as we were getting ready to play the wide game. The kids were at the playground when someone came to get BandAid to come to the playground. Flounder went with him, and was soon coming back telling me they need my help as well. We had to run down to the first aid room and grab the spinal board which we then had to run out to the playground. After that it was a lot of running back and forth to get certain things. The little boy had fallen off the monkeybars and hit his head and had been complaining of a sore neck so we had to treat him as a spinal. We eventually got him on the spinal board and into the back of the minivan and we drove into town. By the time we were halfway to town we were almost positive that he would be fine and sent back to camp with us right away. It turned out we were right, and we then took him for the traditional after ER McDonald's run after which we headed back to camp. Spinals do cause a lot of excitement, but it is excitement I would prefer not to have to repeat! It is good to know that we have staff competent of handling such serious injuries! (It helps to have a former paramedic on as first aid)
Jr. Boys camp is huge! We have 76 campers and lots of staff, and we don't even have enough chairs in the dining hall to seat everyone, so the dishes crew has to eat before and the cooks have to eat after and then the other people just barely fit. With the acoustics in our dining hall it gets horrendously loud, especially with all the table songs and table banging and shares scraping. Oh well, the kids are great and they all seem so happy even though the weather hasn't been the greatest. It hasn't rained much, but it has been kind of cloudy. The staff we have is wonderful, we love working with this youth group, they are always so good, and their leaders are so welcoming that all the staff feel like one group very quickly. Of course this makes it harder for us to say good bye to them at the end of their week or two weeks.
Well, I should probably get back to work, I am supposed to be out takeing pictures during choice time and the gong has gone.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you must be a committed blogger with your lovely, long posts. I really enjoy reading them as that is about as close as I will ever get to working at a camp

11:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home