Thursday, July 06, 2006

Day off?! What's that?

I am currently trying to mentally prepare myself for the next four and a half weeks. Starting tomorrow my next day off will be August 10th. Now don't think I get weekends, I will be working twenty four seven from July 7th through August 10th after which I will sort of have the eleventh off, but will have to spend it answering the phone and preparing for the youth group to arrive for the last camp of the summer, so in all actuallity my next real day off isn't until August 19th! This is insane. People hear what I do, or see what I do and ask me how much people pay me to get me to do that. Well, as I tell them all, you can't work at camp for the money. The director at teen camp summed it up by saying I get paid approximately $0.25 per hour. Ok, so maybe that is a bit of an exageration, but considering I get paid $10 per hour and get paid for 35 hours a week, and really work 24/7, I sure volunteer a LOT of hours. But I LOVE it. There is no other way that a person could survive working at camp if they didn't love it and if God wasn't helping them!
One of the most exhauting things about camp is that I am not allowed to have a bad day. Even if I am in a bad mood I can not show it because I have to set an example for the staff and for the campers. So I have to continue to smile and show a lot of energy and have a positive attitude. That takes a lot of energy! The other thing that takes a lot of energy is for me to act like an extrovert. This is completely opposite my nature, but is a requirement for working at camp, so I wear myself out trying to get outside my box and get to know people. Learning over one hundred names per week will also be exhausting, but It is so fun to be able to know all of the names by the end of the week. Ok, so camp makes me feel exhausted, but it is such a good feeling. It is exhaustion that feels well earned, you can go to sleep knowing that you have worked hard, and that you are right where God wants you to be.
So I had to go shopping the yesterday and today (not my favorite thing to do) and I was noticing how grumpy everyone seems. All the people were talking to eachother in voices that seemed to devalue the other person, and I was shocked once again at how negative our society seems to have become. I also was thinking that I don't want to end up all grumpy and sour.
Well, I should probably get to bed so that I will be all prepared for the next month and a half of work. One camp down and five to go. I will try to update again sometime, but I apologize in advance for how long it will probably be.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

good night!
JAnine

11:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good night!
JAnine

11:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Larissa says: keep up the good work on the attitude you seem like a cheerful person at camp. Make sure you use your breaks!!:) I love you!

11:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home