Still Loving It!
So, I didn't want to have to go into the ER again this summer, but unfortunately I had to go in. It actually happened during the same camp. I had to drive to kids in, one of them again was for a potential spinal, the other had just had an apendectomy, and had fallen on his side. Both were able to come back to camp with us right after the trip.
I am currently doing my "favorite" part of my job. Our printer is a bit weird and when we print birthday cards it doesn't recognize the page size, thus after every page it prints you have to push a button on the printer. This can get very brain numbing when you are doing a birthday card for every camper, and each one has two sides!! Makes me really feel like my talents are being put to use and that I am learning valuable life lessons...like perseverance!!! But there is no way I would let birthday cards stand in the way of me loving my job. As I have gotten into the habit of saying, these are just my PAID hours! The others are volunteer.
This week is Jr. Girls camp, and compared to the seventy six at junior boys, the fifty nine feels like a small camp. This camp is also more challenging to me than Jr. Boys because the Junior girls want me to be involved, playing with them at all the different games, waterfront, activities etc, and I have a hard time saying no, thus I am doing all the things on my list at different hours. The junior girls are also more emotionally draining. And I was thrown the extra challenge of having to do two skits in each chapel. I am usually given the script with about fifteen minutes to memorize it and prepare it with my partner in crime. It has been fun, especially since I get to play the good guy.
During activities I get to help out with field games, which can be a lot of fun, but also gets exhausting. We play team games, but often the girls leave it up to the leaders to do both the defense and some of the offense. This can get exhausting as we are constantly running the length of the field. The afternoon brings waterfront during which the girls want me to come out to the floating dock and throw them in. Pretty much all the kids out there gang up on me to try to get me in and I have to try to be the last one standing. I was told yesterday by one of the kids that I was supposed to "Let" them push me in every once in awhile. I tried to do better today, and they got more girls to gang up on me as well. The water hasn't exactly been warm, but it is manageable.
I also got thrown in the lake the other day for something I didn't do. We had what we call a monks meal which mean there is no talking, and they were going to punish the noisy ones. Well, Flounder was laughing throughout the meal, so she was obviously going to be punished, but I never said anything. Ok, me never saying anything during a monks meal is atypical, so I found it kind of Ironic that this one time when I said nothing was the time they threw me in. The director gave the kids a choice between the support staff and Fuzz and Flounder. Unfortunately even though they voted for Support staff, Fuzz and Flounder went in. Flounder will admit that she deserved it, but every one will admit I didn't, but totally got thrown in by association. Ah well, what is camp all about if not getting thrown in the lake every once in awhile.
Well, I am done pushing the button for awhile, so I better get to bed, there is a cold, a flu and pink eye going around at camp, so I have to try to avoid all of those. Hurray for hand sanatizer!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home