Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Still out at camp! (and I still love it)

Well, I am through my week of cabin leading, and as many of you may have heard it deffinately wasn't my easiest week of cabin leading, but not for the reason we were expecting. Our potential problem child ended up doing wonderfully. Which was sooo great to see. Our difficulties came with two other girls. One was the leader of the two and had a serious attitude problem. During one game she was fingering campers and staff slapped a camper and stole a campers hat. When I sat down to talk to her about it she wasn't sorry at all. Eventually we had a talk in the office with me, her, ny boss and the director. We taked for awhile and eventually it became obvious that she would prefer to go home than to obey the camps rules, so we had her call home. We kept telling her it was her choice, but she chose to go home. Her little follower then decided she was going to go home as well. I really didn't want either of them to have to go home, but I really wnated the follower to stay because I figured she would do really well if the leader friend wasn't around. Eventually the next morning we convinced her to stay if we would put her in a cabin with someone she knew. The leader was picked up and the follower changed cabins. Because I now had two free bunks in my cabin the cabin that was having problems had two of their girls move into our cabin. All this shuffling could really have created some problems with cabin unity. (not that we had any before, our cabin was divided, most of them hated the other two and the other two hated them.) In the end the two who moved in fit right in and the cabin dynamic increased dramatically which was wonderful. One of the coolest things was the follower who we convinced to stay became a Christian later in the week, and she told me more than once how glad she was she had stayed. Her parents called to check on her a few times and were shocked that she had actually stayed. I also got to watch four of the girls in my cabin become Christians and had one rededicate their life. All in all by the end it turned out to be an awesome week. Completely awesome, but totally worth everything. Some of my cabin girls have been in contact with me a few times since they left which has been cool and a totally miss them. Working at camp can be painful that way because every week you get attached to a group of people, staff and campers and then you say goodbye to them.
I am now in the middle of Sr. Boys camp, which is the last camp my boss will be at. Officially she is done, but she is finishinghte week which I am very grateful for. After this I get to run the camp with Megan until the end of Jr. Co-ed which ends on August 18th. It should be interesting.
We also had the Health Inspector come today unannounced (oh the joys). We did well and the new health inspector we have had last year and this year has actually been really friendly. It is really nice. She is so helpful.
Well I will get to go home for a little while this weekend, one of my friends is getting married, so I get time off to go to the wedding and reception, and then I will get driven back out to camp the next morning. Still I will be grateful for a little time away from camp as well as the chance to be at my friends wedding.
Well not much to say beyond camp stuff so I am going to sign off. If you want to more just contact me. I love to talk.

2 Comments:

Blogger James said...

great story I loved it. Glad to hear that the week went well, or that it at least turned out good.
On another note, you now have a link to my blog, but you list it as the other L.Vis. Just thought you might want to list it as James' blog or something like that.

11:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FUZZ!
LOVE YOU SO MUCH!
MICHELLE

3:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home