Thursday, January 25, 2007

Over a week in

Well we are just over a week into my last semester at Dordt. I have now started every class and my internship, the only thing that I haven't done that will become a large part of my semester is had my lab. This is because our Rats have not yet arrived, then we will begin lab and I will meet my Rats (yes in the plural, we just found out we will likely have not just one, but two rats each!).
So I think this is going to be a good semester. I only have one class that I am not going to love, though I think it will still be decent, it just isn't in my area. It is a class that deals with conflict (such as war) specifically looking at a few countries. It is fulfilling my cross-cultural requirement which is really the reason I am in that class. I finished my Psychology major last semester, but I am still taking psychology classes this semester to fill up my time and because I love them. I am also taking a class in interpersonal communication. So far I think I have managed to make myself unpopular by saying that there is an absolute moral code and that we don't have any rights. Yeah, the professor wrote those statements up on the board to summarize what I said and I don't think the rest of my class mainly made up of situationalists and the like really appreciated it at all. Ah well, I have decided to have fun infuriating people in that class. I can already see it is making some people think and others to try not to think. It could be loads of fun!
On Tuesday I went to try donate blood and I had a funny experience. (If you don't like to hear about blood please just skip this paragraph) Typically if I have a problem it is because I don't pass the iron test or my veins are to small or jumpy, but this time I passed all of those issues and the phlebotomist inserted the needle. Unfortunately she didn't get any blood, so she warned me she was going to put it in a little farther and get that vein. Well we finally got the vein, and having warned her that it can take some work to get my blood flowing she checked how fast I was going. I was going really slow, slower than I normally go. We kept watching and I began to bubble (hmm, weird my blood was either boiling or air was somehow getting in) The phlebotomist didn't understand how air could be getting in since she had put the needle in so far (maybe it went all the way through my arm??) After waiting a few minutes and seeing that it wasn't speeding up or stopping the bubbling she decided to check what was going on at the area of the needle, so she took the gauze off that covered the needle and there was blood pouring down the side of my arm, running down the chair and puddling on the floor. Somehow I was bleeding all around the needle instead of into the needle. Needless to say we decided to pull the needle out and clean up the mess. I was allowed to try and donate again, but according to the people there we likely mangled the vein pretty good (and it is the only useful vein I have) so I should probably just let it heal! So now I have a new reason for being rejected for donating blood!
I also started my internship on Tuesday, and after being a bundle of nerves, I finally got there and got started and after only two days I think I can say that I am going to like being there for this semester. On the second day they were already putting me in charge of different things, and so by the end of the semester (or earlier) I will likely feel that I could do this on my own. I never will have to because I am only interning, but it should be good. Oh, I am interning at a Hope Haven home for those of you who don't know that. They are homes that assist in helping people live independently. People with different disorders such as Down's Syndrome as well as with different levels of mental retardation.
So far I have heard from all the grad schools I have submitted applications to that they have recieved my application. I haven't heard anything more, when I do I will let you know. This is just to assure all of you that you don't have to keep asking, I will tell you if anything comes of those applications!
Well I should get to work, though there really is almost no one in the library!
Would love to hear from you all, and you are all invited to my graduation on May 11th.

2 Comments:

Blogger NWPopje said...

Ooh, interpersonal comm. Joy of joys. I took that (is Veenstra still teaching that?)! I also worked at Hope Haven (the 4-plex in OC). Another joy. The stories I have...

And, THANK YOU for at least trying to donate blood! Good citizen you are:). Poor Anneke is such a hard stick too but she doesn't have the option of giving up:).

Enjoy your last semester at Dordt!

2:37 PM

 
Blogger ShellFish said...

Yay!!! I will be at graduation - s101 or c160 cheering for you. Too bad about the mangled vein but that is an exciting story! Never had that happen when I tried. I didn't hear about your internship but I'm glad it went well. I'll have to talk to you next week after you go again.
Now I'll post on my blog since you inspired me :)

6:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home