Monday, September 01, 2008

One month summer break...

Well, I have been thinking I need to post for awhile, but my laptop is driving me nuts. The s, w, 2, and F1 key have all stopped working for some unknown reason (they work mechanically, I didn't spill anything on them) so if you have any ideas let me know. Whatever the case, due to the irritation I have not been typing a lot on my computer. I am currently on a different computer which means you can have a post but no pictures (at least none of mine).
Since I last posted classes have ended and I have had a summer break, classes now start in three days. I never thought I would be able to say I am ready to go back after such a short time, but I kind of feel like I am. Probably in a few weeks I will want out again, but I will appreciate the fact right now that it appears God has worked a miracle by making me ready for the start of classes.
So how did I spend my summer break? The first week I spent working every day, then on August 7 I jumped in my car which was loaded literally to the top with my old roommates stuff (and a little of my own) and drove north. I stopped for three hours in Prince George to visit my camp family whom I love dearly and really miss, and then for a little while in Quick to empty out my car, and then I got home. 
The next day I left to go to camp as I had volunteered to cabin lead for Jr. Girls. That afternoon I got asked if I wanted to make $400, and I smelling some other requirement asked what they wanted me to do. They explained that the Jr. Boys camp director had just called and cancelled for the next week and they wanted me to do it. I said NO, I need to visit my family. I spent most of the rest of the day creating a list of people they could call and ask.
That week at Jr. Girls was interesting. I had a very different cabin from the one I had in July. This cabin was loud, high energy, and high attitude, sometimes to the point of extreme belligerence. But I love them all, and the week actually went really well. I had a great Junior cabin leader who was a real sweet heart. Once again I celebrated my birthday at camp. All week I was feeling a bit burdened about the camp still needing a director for the next week, but I continued to tell them no, and kept praying for them to find someone. 
On Thursday, the last day of camp I asked them if they had found a director, and when they still hadn't I agreed to do it. I got a few hugs from a few people (mainly Laura, but also Stephen and Carel) and then went straight to go to the dentist. 
At the dentist I got to explain how I hadn't been able to brush my teeth for the last few days because the camp was on a boil water advisory and we weren't allowed to use the water to brush our teeth (ugh, so annoying). The dental assistant just smiled and cleaned my teeth really well for me. As I was sitting getting my teeth cleaned I heard someone in a cubicle over explaining about camp as well and realized that one of the other cabin leaders was also at my dentist at the same time. After the dentist I went home and showered, and then got a hair cut, had dinner, watch some Olympics and went to bed. I then got up and went back out to camp to try and throw together a week at camp.
Back out at camp I was very glad for the years I had worked there before which made it very easy for me to throw together a schedule, I was also glad I was a list person so I could create a supplies list of things I needed as well as an extra chores list for my work crew to help out with the game prep on each day. I was also grateful that Carel was willing to lead worship, I helped, but having him do the main planning for that took some pressure off me (besides, he is better at it than I would have been)
Then the boys arrived. Now I always figured at one point I might direct a camp, but in my head I was going to start directing later, and with a girls camp, and then maybe when I was way older I would do a boys camp. Once again God showed me he had a sense of humor because here I was directing a boys camp as my first camp, earlier than I ever expected.
The camp went fine, we had nice weather to start and then a few rainy days. God also put some great people out at camp with me to encourage me and keep me going. At the end of that week we had a lot of chores to do, including some extras as it was the last week of camps. Extras like taking in the water trampoline (fun fun fun). Although the campers left around 10, I didn't leave camp until closer to 5, although not all of that was work, we did go swimming and toss around a football for awhile)
I spent Friday at home, but on Saturday evening I and a van load of girls drove out to Terrace to go to Carel's baptism on Sunday. We then spent most of Sunday in Terrace hanging out and just having fun. We went to the river (though the road to the river was not meant to be driven by a van) and hung out with Carel's family and had a good South African style dinner with BBQ ribs and more. Carel's mom is a great cook and hostess. Then we drove home that night.
The next few days I spent just relaxing around home, and then on Wednesday I drove back down to Langley where I had to work the next day. 
While I was away my new roommate began to move in, so I am now adjusting to a new roommate which will hopefully work out well.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lynola said...

is your computer fixed yet?

5:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home